Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Twenty-Five Days Remain

I love China.

I'm not sure when that happened. For the first month, I thought that I would never fit in. Thought that there was just so much Chinese to learn that I would never make progress. Thought that I wouldn't meet people and see the real China.

But at some point, I got through enough of the language barrier to function. To make friends. To learn how to walk through crowds and cross streets. I've built routines and made friends and found a place here.

Twenty-five days remain.

Part of me thought that I would be more regretful, approaching the end, but the homesickness has come back. Anyway, I've gotten so much out of the experience that there is little for me to regret. I've visited nine cities in four provinces, seen some amazing scenery and historical sites, and done a lot of crazy things.

I don't know what kind of restlessness I'm feeling. Maybe it's the restlessness of wanting to go home and see everyone I love. Maybe it's the restlessness of wanting to see as much of Xi'an - of China - as I can before I go. Maybe it's both.

My first post for this blog was written a very long time ago, back when the countdown was for departure, not return. A lot has changed since then. I think I've grown up a bit.

I don't quite know how I'm going to feel when I board in Beijing. I'll be fresh off of a day of fun with some of my Alliance friends. Some of whom will slip off to the airport in the middle of the night. I say "slip off" but I don't know how much we'll sleep. I hope that I'm tired on the plane.

I knew, objectively, that I was going to miss China. But now, I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment