Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Kansas City to Chicago to Beijing to Xi'an

I apologize for the wait - I have only just now managed to access my blog!

I’ve been in China for six days, and I feel like I have so many more stories to tell than I have time spent here.

I remember reaching 36,000 feet and -75 degrees Fahrenheit over Russia. I remember thinking that here, I was more space than sky.

Here are my thoughts from my first full day in Beijing:
            Arriving in Beijing yesterday, I noticed two things: Terminal 3 was large and uncrowded and the sky was a peculiar shade of grey.



            It had been nearly a fourteen hour flight. I set my watch to Chinese time before takeoff, which helped. I didn’t sleep much, but I saw several movies.
            We flew over ice in the Arctic and snow-capped mountains in Russia. Circling south of Beijing, we saw smooth and mist-shrouded green ranges.



            After exhaustion in the airport, we took a bus along one of the ring roads to BCLU. The traffic was terrifying. Lots of close calls and lane drifting but no accidents. The defensive driving skills make me hesitate to call Beijingers bad drivers.
            I saw the Bird’s Nest (Beijing’s Olympic stadium) and thought of my friend Luna, who danced there in the opening ceremony five years ago.
            Due to a change in BCLU policy, we Xi’an students ended up in a nice hotel. I’m rooming with Shelby, which is a glorious match. Although… we had a bit of an accident on our first night. By “bit of an accident,” I mean we broke the hotel. By “broke the hotel,” I mean we blew the power in our room. Fortunately, Joe was really nice about helping us fix it.


That day, there were blue skies over Beijing. It turns out that, on a clear day, you can see mountains in the distance. It was a lovely day to see the Forbidden City.
.
 Our view.

 Forbidden City


 Forbidden City from Above

Actual Mountains

Also, I actually saw people wearing these:

Also pictured: The wonderful Shelby in the first of many photobombs.

My second post (which will probably also go up tonight) will feature some of my Xi'an stories and pictures, along with some early reflections on my language classes. Until then, 再见!

No comments:

Post a Comment