Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Last Afternoon Out

I'm supposed to be doing my homework, but instead, I'm feeling the end sink in.

Today, I took a study break with Shelby and Mary to go to the Muslim Quarter one last time. There were a couple of t-shirts that we wanted to look at (it's so touristy of us, but we wanted something that wasn't a qipao, something we could wear on a normal day), and I didn't get persimmon cakes or pomegranate juice the last time I was there, and I wanted to have them one more time.

Here are some pictures from my last couple of trips:

Biang biang mian - one long noodle! "Biang" is the most complicated character in the Chinese language.

I wanted to type in the character for you, but I can't. Nor can I copy and paste it from anywhere.

In fact, it can't be entered into computers at all.

Have a picture from Wikipedia:



A new paper store opened up recently with a lot of postcards and buttons and things specific to Xi'an. Here's one gem:


Elizabeth contemplates a purchase.

I loved the way these were set up.

I commissioned her to write my Chinese name in calligraphy today. Her work is lovely. Also, she was wonderful to talk to and kind enough to let me take this picture.

These past couple of days, I've done the last of my hand-washing (in the washer and by hand), packed most of my stuff, done most of my last-minute shopping, studied my last new material, wrote my last Chinese essay, done my last worksheets, written a paper for literature, taken my Silk Road class final, worked on my Capstone, and studied for my Chinese final. I'm getting everything done ahead of schedule, but when I consider that I have three nights left in Xi'an (COUNTING tonight, and it's almost 11:00), I don't feel too on-top of things.

At this point, there's still so much I want to see and do and learn, still so many friends to spend time with, so many things to try, that my new catchphrase is "I'll sleep on the plane." Don't worry - I'm still getting healthy amounts of sleep. And I've managed to wake up at a consistent time all semester! But I'm not going to stress out over time. I'm going to do my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment